Palestine Stew Recipe
This dish tastes as good as any chili I’ve eaten.
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 cup whole wheat (berries)
- 1 large can tomatoes, chopped (or 1 3/4 cups tomato powder and 3 1/2 cups water)
- 1 lb. hamburger, browned and drained (Hamburger TVP® will work here as well.)
- 1 large onion, chopped (or 1/4 cup dehydrated onions)
- 2 Tbs. brown sugar
- 2 Tbs. of Chile powder to taste
Cook lentils & wheat until tender, about an hour. In separate pan, brown hamburger and chopped onion — mix everything together, season to taste, then let simmer 1/2 hour.
Whole Wheat Chili Recipe
- 2 cups cooked wheat (soak wheat overnight, drain. Add 4 cups water, 1 tsp. salt, boil 15 minutes or until tender.)
Add all the following:
- 1 lb. ground beef (or substitute meat substitute)
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon green pepper
- 1 10 oz. can of tomato soup (or use 1 cup water and 1 cup tomato powder)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
Cook hamburger then add other ingredients, stir occasionally or bake in casserole at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes.
Taco Bean Soup Recipe
This recipe goes like hand in glove with corn bread.
- 1/2 lb. ground beef, browned (You could use a meat substitute here. If so, add it just before serving.)
- 1 chopped onion (or 1 cup reconstituted onions)
- 1 lb. cooked kidney beans
- 1 lb. stewed tomatoes (or 2 cups water and 1 cup tomato powder, mixed)
- 8 oz. tomato sauce (or 1 cup water and 1/2 cup tomato powder, mixed)
- 1/2 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 1/2 cup water
Cook onion with meat, add remaining ingredients. Simmer 15 minutes or more. Serve over corn or tortilla chips – or – it also makes a great meal all by itself if served with corn bread. Garnish with grated or powdered cheese if desired.
You can make several of these mixes ahead of time. I package the sauce mix up in small ziplock bags and place it in a quart size ziplock. Then I measure out 5 ounces of Dehydrated Sliced Potatoes, put them in the bag with the sauce mix and put a label on the bag with the name and cooking directions. Store packages in an airtight container.
- 4 T. White Sauce Mix
- 2 T. Beef Soup Base or Bouillon powder
- 1 T. Buttermilk Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1 T. Cheese Blend Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1 tsp. Powdered Egg White
- 1/2 tsp. Dried Parsley
- 1/4 tsp. Citric Acid **
BROWN: 1 pound of ground beef in a skillet, drain.
STIR IN: sliced potatoes, sauce mix, 1 cup milk and 3 cups hot water.
HEAT to boiling, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender. Remove from heat; uncover and let stand 5 minutes to thicken. Stir before serving.
** Citric acid is found in the canning section of the grocery store. It adds an extra ZIP to the dish.
Serves 8 to 10
- 1 lb. hamburger
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 16oz can of tomatoes
- 1 6oz can of tomato paste
- 1 12oz can corn, drained
- 1 can sliced ripe olives (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp salt and a dash of pepper
- 2-3 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups sharp American cheese, grated
- 2 cups cold milk
- 3/4 cup yellow corn meal
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp. butter
Brown the first four ingredients together. Drain the fat and add the tomatoes, tomato paste, corn, olives, sugar, salt, chili powder, and pepper. Simmer 20 minutes until thick. Add cheese and stir until melted. Pour into 9 by 13-inch baking dish.
Make cornmeal topping by heating milk in double boiler; add salt and slowly stir in cornmeal. Cook and stir until thick (about 20 minutes), add butter and spread over top of meat mixture. Bake at 375 deg. for 40 min.
Cracked Wheat Casserole
Makes 6 servings
- 1 pound ground beef (may substitute beef TVP®)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked cracked wheat
- 2 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- 1 tsp beef bouillon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup chopped tomato (fresh or canned)
Brown ground beef with onion and garlic until pink color has gone from the meat. Drain. Combine with the rest of the ingredients except cheese and tomato.
Bake in lightly covered 1 1/2-quart casserole for 45 minutes or until the cracked wheat is tender and water has been absorbed. Stir in cheese and tomato, let stand a minute and serve.
- 8 ounces cooked noodles
- 1 can tuna
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 2/3 cup powdered milk (see directions on package for mixing)
- 1 cup Ritz crackers, crushed into crumbs
- 1 cup canned peas, drained
Mix tuna, peas and noodles together and layer in greased casserole dish. Combine cream of mushroom soup and milk and pour over tuna and noodles mixture. Top with crushed cracker crumbs. Bake at 350°F for about 30 minutes.
Makes 4 servings
- 1 (12.5 oz.) can chicken, drained
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 6 Tbsp. chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. capers, drained
- 4 oz. spaghetti, cooked
Break chicken into bite-size pieces but do not flake it. Mix flour, salt and pepper. Coat chicken with seasoned flour. Heat oil in a heavy skillet on medium-high. Brown coated chicken until golden. Remove from pan and keep warm. Add chicken broth, lemon juice and capers. Boil rapidly to reduce to about 1/4 cup. Remove from heat. Add chicken and stir to coat chicken with the sauce. Serve over cooked spaghetti.